Quaint ramblings and occasional reflections of a journeying Aussie musician...

03 January 2006

I Love Paris!

This one might take me a while, because I think I'll probably run out of positive adjectives, but I just want to join the millions across the world that have had the pleasure of a few days acquaintance with one of the most beautiful cities in the world, a place that I can't wait to go back to, definitely to visit...and if someone magically granted me the power of speaking French and lined me up with a host of gigs, I'd be there before you could say 'cheese and baguettes'!
Caught the early Saturday morning Eurostar, Christmas Eve...strolled out of Gare Du Nord at about 11AM onto the street, and just started laughing out loud, not really believing where I was! First stop Sacre Coeur, about 20 mins walk away...got picked out in half a second by some Nigerian bracelet makers...."Okay," I thought, "I'll pay my tourist tax," as this guy wound a string thing around my wrist, not realising it would be 10 QUID!
Up the stairs, checked out Sacre Coeur...astounding...met up with J-Sax, Miss J, Noel and S and had a coffee around the corner at La Boheme, checked out Place de la Tertre with all the artists...magical! Left on my own for a couple of hours, I took the Metro into town (even that was great), got off at Hotel de Ville, walked around the Louvre and the Ile...amazing...had dinner with everyone at this great French restaurant...
Next day, one of the best days I think of my life....met up with S at the Louvre and just WALKED and walked and walked, taking in magnificent building after windy street after wide boulevard after....for the whole day I just felt this amazing warm happy glow....everywhere we went, everywhere I looked, was beautiful, and I mean EVERYWHERE! Ended up lunching at Luxembourg Palace, then north to Invalides and an incredible walk up some big open avenue to the Eiffel Tower (pleased to say it was TALLER than I expected)...didn't have to wait too long to get to the top...incredible views....
Came down, crossed the 'street' (seems not word enough) towards the big curved building in front of the tower...caught up in the electricity of the people everywhere....

Other places haunted by our merry crew were:

* - The Latin Quarter, where Mr T and I went twice to the shop that sells the best kebabs in the world (with sour cream and french fries...who would have thought!)

* - Boulevards St Michel and St Germain...somewhere there we found this zany English bookstore, complete with cosy upstairs bit with cats and beds to have a little lie down and read in!

* - Notre Dame, Ile de la Cite, Ile de la St Louis, Hotel De Ville, Opera, Dali Museum, numerous cafes, streetside creperies, patisseries et al...

Was great to see me old mate Mr T and stay in this awesome apartment he borrowed from friends...needless to say, can't wait to get back there...I can't imagine how beautiful the place must be in the warmer months...anyway, check out the photos - but a hint of the charm and romance of an amazing town...

No comments: