Quaint ramblings and occasional reflections of a journeying Aussie musician...

08 November 2005

Come Fly With Me

It's the end of my big day job day, so I thought I'd drop a quick note about my recent weekend in Helsinki, my first trip to the continent, my first real holiday in a couple of years, and a break well overdue.
What a great, relaxed town! I kind of knew it was Scandanavian Europe meets old Soviet bloc....colourful pretty buildings looking over dark statues, with some amazing churches (I guess that's pretty standard for Europe though).....but it's got this real trendy art deco vibe as well, which along with the trams was rather reminiscent of somewhere else I used to live.
So great as well to just stroll along (look down, even) these tree lined boulevards in the middle of town. Couldn't speak a word of Finnish but that was fine....checked out some amazing CD stores and the main jazz venue in town, spent a lot of time by myself (haven't done that in a while) just wand'ring the streets, as well as hanging with my dear friend Miss N and her gorgeous mates on a four-day coffee/alcohol tour of the superb nightlife....so good to go out after midnight for a change!
The main thing about it all was that it was a real nice place, so much more chilled out (literally) than here...
So now, entrapped once again within the M25 and back to my three jobs, I plan my next move...Netherlands soon? A week in Paris (maybe a bit later on)? Barcelona in the winter? Who knows!...

No comments: