Quaint ramblings and occasional reflections of a journeying Aussie musician...

06 April 2006

I Live By The River...

So like I said yesterday, my preliminary inquiries into staying here weren't sounding too fruitful. But instead of getting wound up about it all like I usually would, I got a kind of reticence (right word?) about it all. As I stepped off the bus at the back of Camden markets and walked past the Cafe At The End Of The World, I started thinking to myself, what if my days here are drawing to a close. Eleven months away, sure, but there's a time limit to all this?
I met Mr N at the little bridge that ascends out of the goth murk of Camden town and into Primrose Hill, one of the nicest parts of central London (a boutique suburb I suppose one could call it). It's so typical of this town - you might be walking for blocks through crap and then turn a corner and it's all gorgeous (Kilburn High Road to Maida Vale comes to mind). Celebs abound in this cute little urban village, although as Mr N and I wandered up the little boutique high street, none seemed to appear. I remember reading about some Jude Law wifeswapping scandal back in the day....
We got to the end of the street and climbed the steep green hill, and it was astouding...why have I never seen this place before? It was 7.30pm but the sun hadn't set yet (love the long dusks in this country), and the night was really clear, so you could see the whole thing spread before you, all the way out to Canary Wharf. Primrose Hill is now officially one of my new favourite places in London.
Tangent time - the other day I went to THE best cafe in London, hands down. 'Flat White' on Berwick Street, Soho - open wood floor, earthy colours, warm vibe, run by Aussies, and undoubtedly the best coffee here by far. It was uncanny - I ordered a pumpkin and fetta ciabatta, which is what I used to get at Ray's back in Brunswick. Come to think of it, the place seemed to have a bit of a Melbs vibe to it.....
Back to Primrose Hill - repairing to the nearest pub (of which there's a bunch of great ones nearby), I raved on with all my usual stuff, but also was wondering about Melbourne. I suppose that on my grand return to the homeland (whenever that is), it'll be back to the city by the bay, and I started thinking about how it would all be - eating my pasta at Mario's, taking my coffee from Lygon St Food Store, dodgy Latin gigs north and south, get some band together (finally) of my own and do weirdo electronica gigs on Brunnie Street, find some teaching - have my nice little Melbourne muso life.
The place is gonna seem like a VILLAGE compared to this grumbling grimy urban maelstrom I live in now!
No, not just yet, my friends. I've got almost a year to go here, and I'm not bailing without a fight. I went through so much just to get here and set myself up, turn it around from a disaster to a success, and London wouldn' t expect anything less from me. And if it doesn't work out, then probably some more travel, maybe another cruise ship before hitting the places I really want to go (New York, Havana, Brazil), before the great return.
Funny that all that whingeing I did about this place in previous blog entries, that all now seems to be drifting away....
Seeing Primrose Hill for the first time was yet another reminder of all the stuff there is to do here that I haven't done yet (art galleries, museums, walks etc). But that's the common thread through all the opinions of everyone I've talked to about this place - there's so much to do, and you'll never see all of it. If I only have eleven months to go here, then I definitely intend to make the most of it....

1 comment:

Sherd said...

Yo yo yo Mikhel,
According to my bro 'reticent' is in fact only applicable to conversation, as in "he was reticent" = shy, unwilling to speak.
He often talks absolute bollocks though.
Weirdly I checked your blog over the weekend and only got the updates today! Pshaw! You made procrastinating very difficult (you, or my lack of refreshing the cache...). Luckily my essay is due tomorrow so procrastination is still an option.
I'm glad that you are liking the London now. 11 months is enough time to be going on with... if you get married I expect an invite though, I don't care if it's a shotgun wedding or not!