Quaint ramblings and occasional reflections of a journeying Aussie musician...

19 March 2007

Requiem For A Dream

....I had this bizarro dream last night.....I don't seem to remember my dreams anymore and I don't usually tell anyone else my dreams, mainly because they turn out to be open-ended stories that go nowhere and the person you tell can never fully associate, but this is a bit of an exception.....
First of all, real life - Did the Belvedere last night again - it's a four hour gig, and as I said before, no soft pedal, it's a loud piano, and the diners are really close. The management came up twice in the first set to ask me to play softer - it takes me enough concentration to just play solo piano with a working time feel and good tone and interesting harmonic movement without someone bugging you from the side. Of course the more people that came the louder I was able to play. Oh yeah, and they interrupted my meal for me to play Happy Birthday which I have to say was pretty annoying.
So came home, stayed up a bit, some wine and Google Video, went to bed - and then I was in this sort of psychedelic Victorian era version of London, doing a gig in what looked like some department store, and I'd go to play a song and there was this woman in one of those massive curly Baroque wigs who was barking at me, really having a go at me about how wrong it was or how loud I was playing or it was the wrong song, so I would stop and try something else and she wouldn't let up.
So after about five attempts at songs, I blew my top, stood up and yelled at this lady, something about leaving (this version of) London and never working for her again. "You can't do that," she said, "you need to work here! This town's too small, you can't just walk away." "Watch me," I said, or words to that effect. And then she said the line, the kicker....

"You'll be doing these gigs for years!".......

That's what got me - imagine a Simpsons-esque echo of that line to end the dream and me suddenly awake sitting bolt upright in the bed.....
....damn, I gotta write and perform me some original music!.....

No comments: